Saturday, September 16, 2017

Review: The Glorious Heresies (by Lisa McInerney)


DNF (Did Not Finish) - NO RATING given

Sorry, but this ended up being a DNF for me.  I feel a bit bad about it, as I had actually requested a review copy of this book several months ago and there were some issues with getting the physical book delivered to me -- after all the trouble, I felt like I should at least try to push through the book, despite the subject matter not being something I normally would choose to read.  Unfortunately, it just didn't work out. 

It's actually rare for me to DNF a book and this is actually the first book I've done so in a long time.  I got through a little over 200 pages but couldn't really get into the story -- I didn't like any of the characters, the plot didn't really go anywhere, and even though the writing was good, it was hard to concentrate...I found my attention wavering way too often and I kept setting the book aside.  Or perhaps right now is just the wrong timing for this book.  In any case, this book had won a few awards when it was published last year and scanning through Goodreads it looks like there were some pretty good reviews on it, so I'm sure the book has its merits.  Since I hate not finishing books, I will probably give this another try later on...but since I have other books that I need to get to, I will be moving on for now.

Received review copy from Tim Duggan books (Crown Publishing) via Blogging for Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment