Monday, January 1, 2018

2017 Year in Review: Some Stats and a Recap of Favorite Reads



Happy 2018 to fellow bookworms! :-)

2017 proved to be a phenomenal reading year for me!  I read more books last year than I’ve ever read in one year, which is an achievement in and of itself, but the accomplishment I’m most proud of is that I was able to stick to my commitment of writing a review for every single book I read.  This is no small feat given my usual busy life!  For 2018, I intend to read even more books and will continue to write reviews for every book read as I did this year.

For my 2017 reading challenge on Goodreads, I had set a goal of reading 52 books, with the intention of reading one book a week.  Well, it turns out that I exceeded that number, as I ended up reading 56 books – 4 more than my original goal!  Many of the books I read were published this year (2017), but there were also some older ones in there that I read for challenges and/or book clubs that I really enjoyed.  Majority of the books were 3 stars and above, with only 5 books falling into the 2 star category, so I would say that overall, I definitely had a great year! 

Before I go into my list of favorite reads for 2017, just wanted to share a few stats…

Ratings breakdown:
5 Star Reads:  12
4 to 4.5 Star Reads:  24
3 to 3.5 Star Reads:  15
2 to 2.5 Star Reads:  5

Genre / Category breakdown:

Fiction:  48
-          General Fiction:  24
-          Classics: 4
-          Historical: 13
-          Mystery/Thriller/Suspense: 4
-          Short Stories: 2
-          Young Adult (YA): 1

Non-Fiction: 8
-          General Non-fiction: 4
-          Memoirs: 4

ARCs / Review copies

NetGalley:  16
Edelweiss:  5
Penguin First to Read: 13
Direct from author / publisher:  1

**

Favorite Reads of 2017

Below is my list of favorite reads this year (in no particular order) – all of these books I rated 5 stars:

The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
 
The Resurrection of Joan Ashby by Cherise Wolas

All the Best People by Sonja Yoerg

The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See

Reading with Patrick by Michelle Kuo

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

The Lost Letter by Jillian Cantor

Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jamie Ford

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

The following books I rated 4 stars but they were particularly enjoyable reads for me so I figured I would mention them as well (again, in no particular order):

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

The Red Hunter by Lisa Unger

The Idiot by Elif Batuman

Almost Missed You by Jessica Strawser

The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti

The Little French Bistro by Nina George

The Marsh King’s Daughter by Karen Dionne

The Barrowfields by Phillip Lewis

The Chilbury Ladies’ Choir by Jennifer Ryan

Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker

** Note:  To read my reviews for any of the above books, please click on the name of the book in the sidebar to the right of this blog.  Thanks!**

No comments:

Post a Comment