Sunday, October 7, 2018

Review: The Dream Daughter (by Diane Chamberlain)


My Rating:  4.5 stars

I’m not a huge fan of books about time-travel, as I oftentimes end up feeling lost and confused trying to remember the different timelines and the back-and-forth sequence of events that usually occur with these types of books -- so when I first read the blurb for this book and saw that there would be a time travel element to it, I was a little hesitant.  Add to this the fact that I had never read a book by Diane Chamberlain before (though I had heard a lot about her and do have several of her books on my TBR), I really didn’t know what to expect going into this.  Now that I finished reading this book, I am tremendously glad that I decided to go forward with it, as I ended up really really enjoying it! 

The summary uses the word “genre-spanning” to describe this book and I have to say that is a perfect description, as it truly is impossible to fit this into just one category – the time travel element seems to put it into science fiction but then again, that was only a small portion of the story (think of the time travel piece as a means to an end rather than the main arc of the story); there were also historical fiction elements with references to real historical events and a portion of the story taking place in the 1960s and 70s.  Mostly though, this story is about a young mother’s tremendous love for her unborn daughter as well as for her family, which puts her on a path that she never imagined possible – it is also a story about faith, hope, courage, sacrifice, and the lengths a mother would go through to save her own child.  In this sense, it would probably more appropriately fit into women’s fiction, but with a lot more depth to the story, plot, and characters.

I’ve heard that Diane Chamberlain is a masterful storyteller and after reading this book, I absolutely agree!  The writing was fantastic and the plot was amazingly well-thought out, with enough detail to make the story believable (despite the time travel element) and a surprising amount of twists and turns that kept the story lively and engaging.  What I liked most about this book though were the characters – Hunter, Patti, and of course Carly, whom the story mainly revolves around.   I love stories with strong female protagonists at their core and Carly absolutely fit the bill – her tremendous strength and courage  in the face of the situation she found herself in and the many difficult choices as well as sacrifices she had to make, one after the other, this was a character I not only admired, but also connected with on an emotional level.  Carly was such a well-developed character that I often felt I was right there alongside her as she embarked on her journey and as I got to know her throughout the course of the story, she ended up being a character that I didn’t want to let go.

Heartfelt, poignant, and emotional, this is a story that made me shed a tear or two throughout the read, but at the same time, it also made me smile and laugh in a few places. I deliberately went light on the plot with this review, as this is a wonderful story that everyone should experience for themselves, so I didn’t want to spoil anything.  This one is highly recommended!

Received ARC from St. Martin’s Press via NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment