Sunday, March 3, 2019

Review: In Another Time (by Jillian Cantor)


My Rating: 4 stars

Back in 2017, I had read Jillian Cantor’s The Lost Letter and it quickly became one of my favorite reads that year -- one of the few books that I had actually rated 5 stars due to how much the story had moved me emotionally (plus the book was truly well-written of course).   Given how much I liked Cantor’s previous novel, when I heard that she would have a new book coming out this month – another work of historical fiction entitled In Another Time which, similar to her previous novel, is also set during World War II and, from the summary, sounded like it would be in a similar vein as The Lost Letter --  I quickly secured an advance copy to read.  While there are certain aspects of Cantor’s newest work that parallel her previous one – dual timelines, backdrop of World War II and the persecution of Jews during Hitler’s reign, setting in multiple countries in Europe and also in the United States, the discovery of a hidden family secret, a Jewish woman with a strong, feisty personality falling in love with a non-Jewish man who is willing to risk his life to save the woman he loves at all costs, etc. – the story itself is actually quite different.  This time around, music plays an integral role in the story, specifically the music from a violin, to the point that I felt the violin itself became a central character of the same level of importance as the main characters Hanna and Max. 

I don’t want to give away too much of the plot so I won’t go into much detail here other than to say that Hanna and Max share a love relationship that truly transcends time – one that is enduring and passionate yet at the same time heartbreaking and tragic.  Their story is also one of survival and resilience amidst the horrors of a devastating war, with the characters striving to rise above the circumstances while fighting against the bonds of fate and destiny.  Format-wise, the narrative alternated between both Hanna and Max’s perspectives, though from a character development standpoint, it was in reality much more Hanna’s story than Max’s.  Perhaps this was one reason why this story and its characters didn’t resonate with me as much as the ones in Cantor’s previous novel did.  To be honest, I actually found Hanna to be a bit annoying, with her actions frustrating me more times than I really cared for.  To me, Hanna wasn’t an easy character to root for -- on the one hand, her tenacity and steadfastness in holding firm to what she believed in were admirable, but I felt that she oftentimes went overboard in her steadfastness, to the point that it defied all logic and reason.  I had no problems with the way she immersed herself so completely into playing the violin, as most consummate musicians have a level of dedication to their craft that many non-artists probably won’t understand.  Rather, the part that actually frustrated me about Hanna was how little sense of self-preservation she had – when everyone around her kept telling her how bad things were getting in Germany after Hitler rose to power and “the proof” was practically staring her in the face almost daily with Jews getting arrested or “disappearing” left and right, yet she would always purposely ignore the danger signs and repeatedly took a “as long as I have my violin everything will be ok” attitude.  I hate to say it, but the way Hanna’s character was written, there were points in the story where I actually felt sorry for Max and couldn’t help wondering whether the risk was truly worth taking (I’m being deliberately vague here so as not to spoil the story for those who haven’t read the book).

Despite the fact that I wasn’t able to connect on an emotional level with the characters, and in all honesty, didn’t find Hanna and Max’s relationship “moving” like most other readers did (probably due to my frustrations with the way some of the characters were developed as mentioned above), I did find this to be a well-crafted story, one that is well-researched, well-written, and definitely worth reading.  With that said, I did feel at times that there should’ve been a better balance between the various elements of the story, such as the historical aspects versus the romance / love story portion – this one leaned a little more toward the latter than I would have preferred at some parts, but luckily it didn’t overpower the story completely.

Overall, this was a good read and one that I would definitely recommend.  Though I personally liked the story in The Lost Letter more than this one, I still feel that Cantor did a fine job with this book and I look forward to what she will come out with next!

Received ARC from Harper Perennial via Edelweiss.


No comments:

Post a Comment