Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Review: Lost Roses (by Martha Hall Kelly)


My Rating: 5 stars
 
I am probably one of the few people left on this planet who has not yet read Lilac Girls, Martha Hall Kelly’s debut novel about real life heroine Caroline Ferriday during World War II.  The book has actually been on my TBR for quite some time and I even own a copy of it, but unfortunately, I have struggled to find the time to read it (which hopefully will be rectified soon).   Despite not having read Lilac Girls, I was still excited to have received an ARC of Kelly’s second novel Lost Roses, which is the prequel to Lilac Girls and tells the story of Caroline’s mother Eliza Ferriday.  This time around, the story is set against the backdrop of World War I, though technically, the Great War only plays a peripheral role, as most of the story takes place in Russia, with a narrative revolving around the events leading up to the Bolshevik Revolution in 1918 – a peasant uprising that eventually overthrew the imperial dynasty and ended the rule of the Romanov family.  Central to the story is Sofya Streshnayva, cousin to the tsar and also Eliza’s best friend, who is forced to flee with her family to their country estate in the woods when war erupts and things become too dangerous for the ruling class.  While staying at the estate, the family hires a young peasant girl, Varinka – the daughter of the local fortune teller -- to help in the kitchen and also take care of Sofya’s newborn son Max.  Unbeknownst to them, Varinka brings with her tremendous danger that will end up changing the family’s lives forever.  Meanwhile, after having returned to her hometown of New York, Eliza endures a tragedy of her own, but through it all, she continues to do her part in helping the Russian immigrants who successfully fled from the revolution to America, while at the same time, she continues to hold out hope that her friend Sofya and her family will also be able to escape the turmoil wrought by revolution as well as the vestiges of war.

With the story narrated mostly from the alternating perspectives of Eliza, Sofya, and Varinka, each woman lends a distinctive voice to this captivating tale of endurance and survival during a turbulent period in history.  Going into this book, I had very limited knowledge about the Bolshevik Revolution and the resulting turmoil in Russia at that time, so I definitely appreciated the tremendous research that the author Martha Hall Kelly did in order to bring that historical event and all the other ones to life.  The storytelling here was top-notch, as I truly did feel like I was being transported back to that time and place, living through the harrowing circumstances that Sofya and her family faced.  The portrayal of the horrors and violence suffered by those caught up in the uprising felt so real that I actually felt a chill run through me while I was reading those particular scenes.  Sofya was the type of character that I couldn’t help but root for, with everything she goes through and still finding the will to survive for her son’s sake, an admirable trait many of us with children can relate to.  With Varinka, I felt her inner moral struggle and though I pitied the situation she was placed in, I still couldn’t help being upset over the role she played in the events that transpired.  As for Eliza, I actually felt that her story was the least interesting of the three, though I did love her fierce personality and compassionate spirit.  I love stories with strong female protagonists and this book didn’t give us just one, but several indomitable women (and I include not just the above-mentioned 3 women, but also Luba, Caroline, Mamka, Eliza’s mother Carry, etc.) whose courage, determination, and tenacity amongst so much destruction and adversity made this such an unforgettable story for me.

This is historical fiction at its finest:  well-researched with the historical events incorporated seamlessly, plus a compelling story as well as wonderfully developed characters – a balance that is not easy to achieve in books like this one where it is necessary to strive for authenticity historically while still maintaining great storytelling.  Emotionally, this story resonated with me deeply, especially with its portrayal of family, love, hope, friendship, and most significantly, resilience.  The one warning I would give is that the descriptions of the atrocities of war were gut-wrenching and, truth be told, difficult for me to get through, but I understand the necessity of including these scenes for us to understand the devastating impact of such history and as a lesson to never let them happen again.

In her Author’s Note, Martha Hall Kelly mentions that she will be writing a third book – another prequel, but this time the story will go back further in time to the Civil War, continuing the story of the Woolsey women with Caroline’s great-grandmother Jane Eliza Newton Woolsey and the establishment of the first nursing services in America.  I’m looking forward to Kelly’s next book and for sure, I will definitely have read her first one Lilac Girls by then!

Received ARC from Ballantine Books via NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment