Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Review: Light from Other Stars (by Erika Swyler)


My Rating: 4 stars
 
I don’t normally read science fiction and I’m usually not too keen on books about space travel either, so I surprised even myself when I decided to pick up Erika Swyler’s latest work Light from Other Stars.  It’s hard to pinpoint exactly why, but when I first read the summary, I was drawn to the story and was curious how it would turn out.  While I did end up liking the story as well as the characters a lot, I have to admit that all the science and space stuff went way over my head, to the point that I considered abandoning this more than once and moving on to something requiring less struggle.  I persevered however and I’m so glad I did, as the story was definitely worth it, especially the aspects of family, relationships, love, and humanity that were so deftly explored through the events that unfold around the main character Nedda Papas in both the past timeline (which took place in 1986) and the future, inside the space shuttle Chawla.  Speaking of which, the dual timeline format utilized in this story was unique and unlike many of the other books I’ve read before — two seemingly unrelated narratives that went off on very different tangents, but then converged in a way that surprised me.  

The writing was the other aspect of this novel that stood out — it was incredibly descriptive for sure, but more significantly, there was also a gentleness to it, with the author taking a delicate approach to all the characters while not hiding the flaws that made them human.  These were characters that were realistically drawn, yet at the same time, also didn’t feel real given the things that happen in the story.  Surreal – that’s the word that kept churning about in my mind throughout the entire time I was reading this.  Despite that, as well as the difficult (for me) subject matter, I still felt captivated by the story and the lyrical nature of the prose. 

If this review sounds vague, it’s deliberate, as this is one of those stories that needs to be experienced for yourself.  To be quite honest, I actually don’t think I understood a lot of what I read, since, like I said earlier, I get lost easily when it comes to stories that are heavy on scientific stuff and space travel, but I think what helped the most in this case was focusing on the other elements of the story that were more easily accessible and not thinking too much about the parts I was not able to wrap my head around.  This is my first time reading this author’s works and even though I struggled through this one (largely due to the subject matter), I am still interested in reading more of her works in the future.  This was definitely a different experience for me and while I probably still won’t choose to read a whole lot of science fiction because it’s just not my thing, I don’t mind occasionally reading outside of my comfort zone, especially since finishing a book like this one feels so rewarding!

Received ARC from Bloomsbury Publishing via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment