Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Review: Twenty-One Truths About Love (by Matthew Dicks)


My Rating: 3 stars
 
This will be a very short review because, well, I’ve never read a book that consists entirely of “lists” before and I honestly don’t know the best way to go about reviewing this one.  On the one hand, I applaud the author Matthew Dicks’ creativity in telling Dan’s story entirely through the lists he compiles in his journal, where he talks about candidly about everything happening in his life from his anxiety towards impending fatherhood to his insecurity with his marriage and not being able to measure up to his wife’s dead first husband, to his regrets over the various decisions he’s made, etc.  I liked the premise, though didn’t like the characters very much (with the exception of Bill Donovan – loved that guy!), however I do feel that Dicks did a good job in the way he was still able to strike an emotional balance to the story (some parts made me laugh and some parts had me near tears) despite the lack of actual narrative prose.  On the other hand though – after a while, the “list” format became way too much, to the point of being overkill; also, some of the lists were way too long and were about things I was not even remotely interested in, such as “rules of gunfighting” and “Newton’s list of sins” and the complete (I think?) lyrics to a song named Code Monkey, etc. – I actually skimmed a lot of these sections, as my mind was already starting to wander after just reading one or two bullet points.  I was interested in Dan’s story, but I felt some of these longer lists (ones that I felt weren’t all that necessary) detracted from the story.

I honestly think that I would’ve enjoyed this one more if the list thing had been scaled back a bit and perhaps turning it more into a hybrid format with a few pages of narrative pose interspersed throughout so it would feel a little more connected and a little less all-over-the-place. 

Overall though, this WAS a fun read (and a quick one of course) and even though it wasn’t necessarily a format I preferred, I did appreciate getting to try something different for a change. 

Received ARC from St. Martin’s Press via Edelweiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment