Saturday, May 16, 2020

Review: Lovely War (by Julie Berry)


My Rating: 4 stars
This was a delightful read, one that I was a bit apprehensive going into it, but ended up really enjoying!  The premise of the story is a unique one: two young couples — Hazel and James, Colette and Aubrey — fall in love amongst the turbulence of World War I, their story narrated not by any human characters, but rather by a few famous gods and goddesses from Greek mythology.  After being caught by her husband Hephaestus in an affair with a fellow god (Ares, god of war), Aphrodite, the goddess of love, seeks to avoid judgment on Mount Olympus by spinning the story of these 2 couples and the love that they share despite the world around them descending into chaos.  But yet, this story isn’t just about love — it is also about the bonds of friendship and the unifying power of music, about courage in the face of adversity and destruction, about the possibility of hope after heartbreak, resilience after devastation.  Ultimately, in a battle of Love versus War, will Love triumph or will War succeed in destroying everything in its path?

This book is largely categorized as historical fiction, but at the same time, it can also be appropriately grouped under romance, YA, and fantasy.   I will be honest in saying that, based on these genres, this is a book that I probably would not have picked up on my own to read due to the fact that, while I love historical fiction (and the author, Julie Berry, certainly did a great job with the historical elements in here – there were ample historical details but not to the point of dragging down the story), I’m not too keen on the other 3 genres.  I don’t read much YA because I’m not the target audience for that genre and so I usually find it harder to appreciate the story and characters; with romance, I can be quite picky and usually don’t handle “overly sappy” stories well; and with fantasy, that’s just not really my thing.  But given that this was the May selection for one of my book clubs, plus the story sounded interesting based on the summary and it came highly recommended by trusted friends, I decided to give this one a try and hope for the best.  Well, this book ended up surprising me, but in a good way – all the genres blended together really well, the story was engaging, and the writing was lovely, but most important for me were the characters, all of whom I couldn’t help but love dearly.  It’s not often that I feel like I don’t want a story to end because I want to keep reading about these characters and spend more time with them – this was definitely one of those instances!

One thing that I think has to be mentioned, especially since the entire premise of the book hinges on this aspect, is the Greek mythology angle and the unique structure of having Aphrodite and the other gods narrate the main characters’ stories.  From the various reviews, this aspect seemed to be a mixed bag in that it worked for some people but not for others.  For me personally, it worked really well – in fact, I loved the cleverness of the way Berry structured the story, with having the appropriate god or goddess narrate the chapters based on their areas of expertise (for example – the chapters heavy on music were narrated by Apollo, the ones that revolved around the war battles were narrated by Ares, sections related to death or injury were narrated by Hades, and of course, the overall love story with the main characters was narrated by Aphrodite).  Perhaps it is because I already had a certain familiarity with Greek mythology going into this, since I had studied it extensively back in my school days (albeit that was eons ago), so it helped me appreciate those aspects in a way that I probably would not have otherwise.  With that said though, in terms of the sections where the gods (and goddess) interacted with each other, while I did find some of their banter funny, it got a bit old after a while, which made me somewhat impatient for them to get back to the actual story.

The other thing that I felt this book did really well was balance – parts of the book were fun to read but the parts related to the war and its aftermath as well as other historical events were treated seriously as it needed to be.  The story itself had substance, yet it wasn’t dense to the point of being overly complicated or hard to follow.  This is one of those books that manages to blend the YA and adult aspects pretty well, without sacrificing the elements that also make this a worthwhile historical fiction read.  Definitely recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment