Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Review: You Have a Match (by Emma Lord)

My Rating:  4 stars

With only a few days left in the year, I didn't think I would have time to finish another book before the last day of the month.  But as I was planning my January and February "to be read" lists yesterday, I got a bit anxious over the insane number of books I have lined up for those 2 months, so in a moment of panic, I decided to get a head start on one of the January releases on my list.  In anticipation that I would likely be reading whichever book I chose through the new year break, I wanted something potentially light-hearted and fun, a relaxing read that wouldn't require me to do a whole lot of unpacking.  Scanning my lists, I came across Emma Lord's sophomore novel You Have a Match and after reading the summary, I knew this would likely fit what I was looking for.  I'm usually not much of a YA or romance reader and though I was aware of this author's much beloved debut novelTweet Cute (which was actually recommended to me a few times last year), I never got around to reading it, so going into this, her second book, I wasn't too sure what to expect.  It turns out this book was exactly what I needed at the moment – a cute, fun read that explores modern day sentiments (i.e. social media, adoption, LGBTQ relationships, complicated family dynamics, sibling rivalry, genetics and DNA testing, etc.) in a way that isn't heavy-handed, which I definitely appreciated.  Many reviews of the book mention the Parent Trap vibe of the story, which I completely agree with given the antics of the two sisters Abby and Savvy, though the story and characters also reminded me of other famous literary "sister" relationships such as Beezus and Ramona from the Beverly Cleary books (which I adored when I was a kid) and the Wakefield sisters from the Sweet Valley High series.  


As for the summer camp setting, it definitely felt like a throwback to my childhood days of camping with schoolmates and Girl Scouts, something I haven't done in decades, so it was fun to get to experience those memories again (even if it's only briefly through a few short scenes).  Reading this book actually made me nostalgic for those carefree days of youth, which isn't a bad feeling to have right now, to be honest.  


If you're looking for a feel-good read with endearing characters and an engaging story, I would recommend picking this one up. I actually surprised myself by finishing this book in two sittings, with the unexpected result of now being able to add another book I enjoyed to my 2020 recap.  


Received ARC from Wednesday Books via NetGalley


 

No comments:

Post a Comment