Friday, April 20, 2018

Review: After Anna (by Lisa Scottoline)


 My Rating: 2.5 stars

I had heard many good things about Lisa Scottoline’s books and so when I was offered an ARC of her latest thriller After Anna, I went into it expecting an intense read.  The plot (from the summary) sounded promising and the first 2-3 chapters actually did draw me in, made me interested in the story and wanting to find out what was really going on with Anna’s murder and what Noah’s role was in it.  Unfortunately, the story quickly started falling apart for me (I was barely at the 8% mark on my Kindle) and kept going downhill the more I read – by the time I got to the end of the book, the story had become such a tangled mess that I felt like kicking myself for not having DNF’ed this earlier on (especially when I already have a long list of books I still need to get to).

There were so many issues I had with this book, I honestly don’t know where to begin with relaying my thoughts on this one.  I guess perhaps I should start with the writing, which was where I first found issue with this book.  Most of the book (way too much of it to be honest) consisted of back and forth dialogue between various characters – the “After” sections were mostly about Noah’s trial, with the dialogue centering heavily on the back and forth questioning between lawyers and witnesses, while the “Before” sections had line after line of dialogue between Maggie, Noah, Anna, and other characters, building up the “meat” of the story in terms of how Noah got to the point of standing trial for murder.  Dialogue is of course a necessary component of all novels and when it is done well, it can definitely enhance a story and give keen insight into the story’s characters, but when the dialogue is overdone to the extent that it was here, it actually bogs down the story more than anything else.  With that said though, the issue I had wasn’t just with the excessive amount of dialogue, but rather, how trite and superficial majority of the dialogue was, to the point that I felt most of it was unnecessary and the story would’ve been more coherent without it.  There were some chapters where characters took up pages and pages having long, drawn out, yet repetitive arguments with each other (some of the arguments actually reminded me of the way children argued with each other)…or a character takes several paragraphs, sometimes even several pages, to “get to the point” of what they were trying to say (i.e.: almost all of the conversations between Maggie and Anna).  Outside of the dialogue, there was also too much description of “unnecessary minutiae” – details that were not really relevant to the plot and made me wonder why they were included in the first place (i.e. that entire chapter where Maggie and Anna are at the Congreve Inn and we are told what their room looked like, the different things they ate, Anna’s “play-by-play” reaction to the movie they were watching, etc).  All of this, combined with the issues with the plot as well as a general frustration with most of the characters (more on both these points this later), made the story feel so tremendously draggy that I found myself skimming a lot, especially at the halfway mark when I started getting increasingly annoyed with the way things were going (or, more appropriately, NOT going) and so resorted to glossing over entire paragraphs – sometimes even entire pages – so that I could get to the end quicker.

In terms of the characters, I didn’t like the way any of them were portrayed, as they all came across as one-dimensional and superficial to me.  I was especially irritated with the character of Maggie, who was supposed to be a mature 40-something mother and career woman, yet for nearly 90% of the story that she was in, she acted like a petulant teenager throwing a tantrum each time things didn’t go her way.  In fact, in some of the scenes between Maggie and Anna, I actually got confused who was the teenager and who was the mother because they both sounded equally immature.  The character of Noah came across as too much of a caricature – perfect husband, perfect father, tall and good-looking, exceedingly intelligent doctor, patient, attentive, loving, basically he was the penultimate “perfect” man whom Maggie obviously adored – but yet, upon one “complaint” from Anna, Maggie goes from loving her husband to automatically hating him and then refuses all attempts at rational thought after that. And of course, Anna was a very stereotypical character, but what irked me most was how blatantly obvious it was from the getgo that something wasn’t right with her, yet Maggie saw absolutely no issues, had absolutely no doubts, even when evidence was staring her in the face.  I personally can’t stand characters that are written deliberately stereotypical, especially female characters, so the way both Anna and Maggie were portrayed in this story really got to me.

Where I saw the biggest problem with this story though was in the plot, which honestly had more holes in it than swiss cheese.   I had to suspend disbelief for practically the entire book in order to get through it -- the opening chapters were decent but the plot grew more and more outlandish as the story dragged on and by the end, the plot had gotten so out of hand that I really had to question whether I was still reading the same book.  One particular section in the second half of the book really made my blood boil (the part where one of the characters accompanies the police on a high profile sting operation – I’m trying to avoid spoilers so being purposely vague here) – the actions of the characters made no sense to me (not just in that one section but throughout the entire story) and it seemed like a lot of the time, drama was being created for drama’s sake.  Overall, the entire plot felt forced and with all the holes, the flow of the story was negatively affected to the point that it was a huge struggle to get through the book.

Though I can’t in good conscience recommend this read due to all the issues I had with it, I am obviously the outlier here as there are many others who liked this one, so I would recommend checking out the 4 and 5 star reviews as well before deciding.  Also, despite my disappointment with this book, I am still open to reading this author’s other works in the future, as I’ve heard her other works are better, but it’s definitely less of a priority for me at this point.

Received ARC from St. Martin’s Press via NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment