Monday, April 9, 2018

Review: The Recipe Box (by Viola Shipman)


 My Rating: 4 stars
 
This is the second book I’ve read by Viola Shipman and so far, this is definitely my favorite out of the two.  Last year, I had the opportunity to read this author’s second novel The Hope Chest and while it was an enjoyable read for me, it didn’t capture my heart like this third book The Recipe Box did.  At the heart of this book was a wonderful story about family, love, relationships, identity, and one of my favorite topics :  FOOD -- not just any food though – pies, cakes, tarts, cookies, and all manner of delicious baked goods!  The story centers around Sam, a young sous-chef for a fancy bakery in New York who ends up quitting her job and returns home to Michigan, where her family owns an orchard and pie shop.  Having grown up on the orchard surrounded by a loving family as well as the two women who inspired her love of baking – her mother Deana and her grandmother Willo – Sam returns to her childhood home to “lick her wounds,” sort out the mess she made of her life, and hopefully gain some clarity on the next steps for her future.  Sam is welcomed back with open arms and quickly falls back in step with working at the orchard alongside the women in her life who had always meant so much to her – together, as they work through the recipes in the family’s recipe box, Sam not only develops a deeper understanding of her family’s treasured history and legacy, she also embarks on a journey of self-discovery that reignites her passion for baking as well as opens her heart to love.

I enjoyed this gem of a story that was filled with characters I adored from the start!  I love stories about strong, smart, independent-minded women and this story had plenty of them – from Sam to Deana to Willo, also the generations that came before them with Madge and Alice, even though not mentioned as much but yet still so important to the story, I loved all these women!  With well-written and descriptive prose, the story was incredibly atmospheric, to the point that I felt as though I was transported to the Mullins family orchard right from the very first page.  In fact, I would say that the setting of the orchard (and pie pantry) became actual “characters” for me, coming vividly alive as the story unfolded and we learned more and more about Sam and her family with each chapter.  I felt that the story itself was lovely and heartwarming, though yes it was a bit predictable and perhaps a little too saccharine and sweet, but that’s fine because it was the perfect escape for me after a series of heavier reads and also me dealing with a few rough patches in my own life.  From the moment I started reading, I was expecting a light-hearted, feel good story with a plot that wasn’t too complicated and also characters I could possibly relate to – I ended up getting that and much, much more!  Included at the end of each chapter was the recipe – ingredients and step-by-step instructions – for making each of the desserts featured in the story, which was a lovely surprise and an aspect of this book that I loved!  In addition, I also enjoyed reading about the origin of each recipe as well as explanation of the real-life significance behind each dessert in the author’s note at the end of the book.  Even though I most likely won’t attempt to make these desserts myself due to the fact that I’m a lousy cook and an even worse baker, I am also blessed to have wonderful women in my family who are fantastic when it comes to turning food into delectable creations so I know for sure they will enjoy trying these recipes out!

I recently found out that Viola Shipman is actually the pen name for Wade Rouse, a male author who writes under his grandmother’s name to honor her.  Just like with his two previous novels The Charm Bracelet and The Hope Chest, this book The Recipe Box was also inspired by one of his grandmother’s heirlooms that was passed down to him.  As he writes in his author’s note, this book “is a tribute to our elders, especially the women in our lives whose voices were often overlooked in their lifetimes. What a wonderful way to honor his grandmother and also remind us as readers to treasure the elders in our lives and continue to pass along their love, lessons, family stories, and heirlooms to those we love as well!  Wonderful book and definitely a highly recommended read!

Received ARC from St. Martin’s Press via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment