Monday, July 9, 2018

Review: Jar of Hearts (by Jennifer Hillier)


 My Rating:  4 stars

Technically, this one falls somewhere between 4 and 4.5 stars for me.  To start off, I will say that yes, this is yet another excellent, well-written suspense thriller, one that hooked me from the start and had me turning pages breathlessly as the plot unfolded from one chapter to the next.  However one of the things that set this one apart from other thrillers for me was that this one went quite a bit deeper into  several very important societal and moral issues that actually left me some “food for thought” when all was said and done (sorry if I’m being vague, as I don’t want to spoil things for those who haven’t read this one).  For this reason, I feel that this book would make a good group or buddy read, as there are definitely a few things worthy of discussion here.

This review will be shorter than most of the ones I write, as I’m trying to refrain from saying too much because this is definitely one of those books where you should go into it knowing as little as possible.  Unlike a few of the other thrillers I’ve read the past few months, this one didn’t have a lot of twists and turns -- there was basically only one major reveal at the end (which I definitely hadn’t seen coming).  From the first page, the author Jennifer Hillier took her time revealing parts of the plot, with things getting more complicated as the story built up chapter by chapter, yet at no point did I feel that the story was slow – in fact, this one was so fast-paced and engaging that I found it difficult to pry myself away even for a few minutes.  I actually had pockets of time throughout the day to read this one and when I was forced to put the book down briefly to tend to other things, I couldn’t help thinking about it still and wanting to get back to it as quickly as possible – goes to show how much I truly enjoyed this one!

One thing I do have to mention is that this thriller was actually a lot darker and grittier than what I usually read and it was also more graphic than I expected, though the scenes were brief enough and didn’t dwell on too much detail so it was still within acceptable level for me.  This one was definitely more intense than other thrillers though and I would go so far as to say that it’s not for the faint of heart, so just be aware before picking this one up.  The one complaint that I had was that the ending felt a bit rushed, which was a little disappointing given that the author had done such a great job seamlessly laying out the plot and making me invested in the characters.  While I would consider the ending satisfying in terms of closure, I still felt like I had missed a significant chunk of the story when it jumped from the “ending” to the epilogue that obviously took place way later.  In the grand scheme of things however, I would say that this is a minor complaint and didn’t affect too much my overall enjoyment of the book.  This one is definitely recommended, especially for thriller fans who are looking for a read that is a step above in terms of others in the same genre. 

Received ARC from Minotaur Books / St. Martin’s Press via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment