Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Review: The Sixth Wedding (by Elin Hilderbrand)

My Rating: 4 stars

I read Elin Hilderbrand's 28 Summers last year and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the book (I'm not usually a fan of contemporary romances).  In addition to the well-developed characters, there was also depth to the story that made it a compelling read for me, though what I had loved most about that book was the structure, with each chapter starting off with various current event and pop culture references from that year – I definitely had a lot of fun taking that trip down memory lane!

 

The Sixth Wedding, which is out today, is the sequel to 28 Summers.  In this super short novella, the story opens in 2023, when the gang decides to reunite at the Nantucket cottage for one last Labor Day weekend.  We get a chance to find out what happened to each of the main characters since that fateful summer in 2020 and later, we get to see how their stories wrap up.   I love that Hilderbrand kept the same format with the current event and pop culture references, though instead of starting each chapter with them, she summed them all up in the Introduction, then after that, we got to hear from each of the characters.  While it was nice getting to catch up with these characters again, it was also bittersweet knowing Mallory wouldn't be a part of it.  Mallory was a one-of-a-kind character who was also the heart and soul of the story, so without her, of course things wouldn't be the same.  

 

Overall, I enjoyed this sequel, though I do wish that this had been longer (maybe not a full-length novel but definitely something more than 76 pages).  If you read and enjoyed 28 Summers, I definitely recommend reading this one too!  

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment