Monday, April 10, 2017

Review: The Barrowfields (by Phillip Lewis)




My Rating:  4 stars

I had a difficult time starting this review because there are so many things I liked about this book that it was hard for me to just choose a few things to focus on.  But since I must choose, I would have to say that the beautiful writing, first and foremost, is what got me completely drawn into this book.  From the very first page to the very last one, the writing was lyrical, descriptive, engaging.  The author Phillip Lewis has a unique skill in being able to render vivid descriptions of people, places, events, etc. in a few short sentences, sometimes in a mere few words, and do it in a way that the reader feels fully immersed in what he is describing.  Some of my favorite descriptions in the book were of the old mansion situated on the side of the mountain in the fictitious town of Old Buckram, North Carolina – a formidable, intimidating structure that had seen its own fair share of tragedy in its decades of existence, which succeeded in giving the house a perpetually macabre, haunted aura.  The detail with which the house was described made me feel as though I was right there alongside the members of the Aster family as each of them either explored the house for the first time or had to bear witness to some tragic event that inevitably occurs in the house during the time that the family reluctantly occupies it.

In addition to the writing, another aspect I loved was the huge role that books (both reading books and writing them) as well as music had in the story.  As a book lover myself who also has a great appreciation for music, I could not help but become completely immersed in the narrator’s story, especially the parts about his family, specifically his father with whom he shared a similar passion for reading and also playing classical music.  As I followed the narrator’s story, I felt at times that I was riding on a roller coaster of emotions, especially during the first third or so of the story when books of all kinds were front and center and the characters seemed to play only supporting roles.  Even when the main characters became the focus of the story again, books and music continued to play a prominent role and were interwoven seamlessly throughout the rest of the story, which I loved.

This is an excellent book with an engaging story and relatable characters which easily would have been a 5 star read for me if it hadn’t been for the middle section of the book (roughly 30% to 40% if I had to quantify it) -- the entire segment where the narrator (Henry Aster the son) goes off to college and subsequently to law school.  While I understood the need for this segment to exist (as a means for Henry to flee from all the tragedy and pain of his past as well as a conduit for him to meet his true love), I felt that the way this section was written was very different from the rest of the book.  It felt very out of place to me, almost as though the entire section was taken from another story and dropped into this one.  I definitely felt that this portion of the book interrupted the flow of the story and I wanted nothing more than for the narrator to hurry up and finish school so the focus could shift back to his family and his hometown and everything that had happened that was part of the past he was desperately trying to flee.  After much consideration, I ended up begrudgingly giving this book 4 stars instead of the full 5 stars.

I decided to keep this review relatively short, as I feel like nothing I write can do justice to this book.  This is a book that needs to be “read” rather than “described” because that is the only way to properly experience and appreciate the story that the author has to tell (and yes, I am still in shock that this is the author’s debut novel – I will surely be on the lookout for subsequent works by this author).  Highly recommended read that is absolutely worth the time! 

Received advance reader’s copy from Hogarth / Crown Publishing via Blogging for Books

No comments:

Post a Comment