Sunday, January 12, 2020

Revew: The Girls with No Names (by Serena Burdick)


My Rating: 3.5 stars

Right off the bat, I have to say that I had mixed feelings about this book – which is why, as I sit down to write this review, I’m struggling a bit trying to figure out how best to begin.  In reading the summary, I thought this would be a story centered around the historical House of Mercy, which was a sanitorium of sorts that had once existed in the Manhattan area of New York back in the early 1900s.  To the public, the House of Mercy was a religious institution whose purpose was to “rescue” wayward girls from a life of vice and sin by putting them on a path of reform and redemption – in reality though, the institution was actually a “prison” where girls of various ages were enslaved and forced to work under harsh conditions as restitution for the “immoral” behavior that had gotten them committed in the first place.  The girls at these establishments were often abused and punished for any little infraction and for some, even though their stays were supposed to only be temporary, sadly did not always survive to see their day of release.  

Prior to reading this book, I had heard about these types of institutions, but did not know much about the House of Mercy specifically, so I was thinking I would be able to learn more about what went on there through the fictional story of Effie and her sister Luella.  Unfortunately, it turns out that the summary is very misleading, as only a small part of the story (I would say around 20% or so) actually took place in the House of Mercy – most of the story focused on family conflict, gender and class politics, as well as what life was like for women in New York society during the 1910s.   Narrated by 3 of the main characters – the younger Tildon sister Effie, her mother Jeanne, and one of the girls from the House of Mercy named Mable – majority of the story centered around each of the character’s backstories and, in the cases of Effie and Mable, how they ended up in the House of Mercy and later on, much of the narrative revolved around whether they would be able to escape and whether Effie would be able to see her family again.  While the characters’ backstories (especially Mable’s) were interesting for the most part and did keep me reading to the end, I was a little irked at being misled and unfortunately, this did affect my reading experience somewhat.  It also didn’t help that the story itself was the “slow-burn” type where nothing really happens until around a third of the way in when things start to pick up a bit – even then though, I had some problems with parts of the plot as well as the way some of the characters were depicted. 

In terms of the writing, it actually flowed quite well in that there was a good balance of descriptive prose and dialogue.  Despite the plot as well as direction of the story being mostly predictable and contrived,  the story kept my interest (as I mentioned earlier) and I never felt the urge to skim or set this one aside in favor of another book -- both of which I tend to do when I feel the book/story is boring -- which in and of itself says a lot about how I felt about this one.  With that said however, one area that was a bit lacking with this story was that I didn’t get a strong sense of time and place, which is critical for me when it comes to historical fiction.  Most of the historical elements that would’ve established the time period and setting for me were briefly mentioned for the most part (for example – the suffragettes and women’s marches, a brief mention near the end of what would be the start of World War I, the House of Mercy itself, etc.), to the point that I felt like majority of the story could have taken place anywhere and during any time period. 

Overall, I would say that the story definitely had potential and the writing was mostly solid, it’s just that the execution wasn’t really up to par with what I expected.  Given the premise, I expected both the story and the characters to be ones that I would continue to think about for awhile after I finished reading, but I’m sorry to say that didn’t turn out to be the case with this one -- I liked this one well enough to finish reading it, but not enough to linger on the characters (most of whom I didn’t connect with) or the story.  Basically, I’m ready to move on to something better.

Received ARC from Park Row (Random House) via Edelweiss.


No comments:

Post a Comment