Saturday, January 2, 2021

2020 Year In Review

Happy New Year!

As I sit down to write this recap and reflect upon what type of year this has been, I can’t help but agree with everyone who has used words such as “challenging” or “unprecedented” or “difficult” to describe 2020.   While everyone copes with difficult situations in a myriad of different ways, my “go-to” method in times of stress has always been to escape my worries by seeking solace in books and reading.  So as I look back at my reading life in 2020, it is definitely not a surprise to me that I have read more books this past year than I have any other year to date.  Though technically speaking, my total number of books read this past year, on average, is not too huge of a difference from past years (that number usually hovers between 55 to 60 books), I feel like I’ve gotten more out of my reading in 2020 than I have compared to other years.  While there were definitely months where it was difficult to focus given everything else that was going on in the world, one thing I noticed about my reading life this past year is that it was a lot more “reflective” than years past -- meaning that I seemed to gravitate more toward books that were either “comfort reads” for me in genres that I love, or that added to my understanding and helped me make (some) sense of the complicated world I’m currently living in.    

For 2021, one of the things I would like to do is go back to trying out genres that I don’t normally read (i.e. sci-fi and fantasy) – which I’ve done the past couple years but didn’t in 2020 because of the reasons mentioned above.  As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve always been a huge advocate of reading widely and diversely -- while I still found ways to diversify my reading last year, genre-wise I pretty much stuck to the “tried and true” ones where I knew it would be more likely for me to have a positive reading experience.  

In addition to the above, another big goal for 2021 in terms of my reading life is to read more of the books I own or that are on either my physical or electronic bookshelves.  I bought a lot of books last year (in both e-book and print format), many of which I have not had the chance to read.  Of course, I will still be requesting and reading ARCs of new releases like I usually do (I don’t see myself ever being able to get away from that), but I hope to manage it better this year in terms of balancing ARCs of new releases with backlist books that I already own.

So without further ado, here’s my recap, starting with stats from my 2020 reading log: 








 
 

Favorite Reads of 2020

Below is my list of favorite reads this year (in no particular order) – all of these books I rated 5 stars:        

I’d Give Anything by Marisa de los Santo


 

The Color of Air by Gail Tsukiyama

 


Musical Chairs by Amy Poeppel

 


The Exiles by Christina Baker Kline

 


Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

 


Before the Ever After by Jacqueline Woodson

 


Stories from Suffragette City (short story collection edited by M.J. Rose and Fiona Davis)

 


The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett

 


The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo


 

The following books I rated 4.5 stars, which for me means that they were all excellent books in their own right, it’s just that they didn’t give me the 5 star “vibe” due to a minor flaw or two:

Long Bright River by Liz Moore


 

These Women by Ivy Pochoda

 


The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton

 


Eat a Peach by David Chang

 


Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

 


Fifty Words for Rain by Asha Lemmie

 


 

The following books I rated 4 stars but they were particularly enjoyable reads for me so I figured I would mention them as well (again, in no particular order):

Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain


 

Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu


 

All the Ways We Said Goodbye by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig, and Karen White

 


Hollywood Park: A Memoir by Mikel Jollett

 


Resistance Women by Jennifer Chiaverini

 


You Are Not Alone by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen


 

Deceit and Other Possibilities by Vanessa Hua


 

Days of Distraction by Alexandra Chang

 


Daughter of the Reich by Louise Fein

 


Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler

 


Lovely War by Julie Berry


 

28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand

 


The Second Home by Christina Clancy

 


His & Hers by Alice Feeney


 

Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum

 


The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner

 


The Night Swim by Megan Goldin

 


Dear Emmie Blue by Lia Louis


 

Don’t Look For Me by Wendy Walker


 

A Single Swallow by Zhang Ling


 

White Ivy by Susie Yang


 

Relish:  My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley


 

You Have a Match by Emma Lord


 




No comments:

Post a Comment