Monday, September 5, 2022

Review: The Ways We Hide (by Kristina McMorris)

My Rating: 4 stars

I have most of Kristina McMorris's works on my TBR, though so far, I've only had a chance to read two of her books — this book, her newest novel The Ways We Hide, and her previous one, Sold on a Monday, which came out back in 2018. While I have every intention of getting through McMorris's backlist at some point, I also don't want to miss any of her new works — which is why, as soon as I saw that she had a new book coming out this month, I requested an ARC before even reading the summary of what the book would be about.  After I got approved, I went back and read the blurb, which made me even more intrigued and excited to read the novel.  While I've read plenty of books set during World War II and covering various themes, one that I haven't come across is exactly what McMorris's new book explores:  the role of magicians / illusionists in the war effort.  Up until this point, I've always thought about magicians as entertainers, never realizing that there were very practical ways they could put their skills to use during the war, such as helping to design escape plans and contraptions or other gadgets that could hide things such as maps. This was a fascinating concept to me and an angle not often explored in WWII-themed fiction.  Not only that though, in terms of this particular story, the illusionist is a woman (the main character Fenna Vos), which is even more rare given the time period and the prevalent society conventions at the time.  

From a historical perspective, McMorris did a great job relaying the various elements related to real-life events and people, as well as establishing an atmospheric sense of time and place. I remember reading somewhere that McMorris mentioned this is one of her more ambitious novels to date, which I can totally see, as this one actually covered quite a bit of ground, with a time period spanning 1928 to 1945, a setting across three different countries (United States, England, the Netherlands), and a multitude of historical events / people covered (which I didn't actually realize until I read her Author's Note at the end of the book).  The meticulous research she did in preparation was obvious in the way she was able to utilize so much descriptive detail throughout the story, whether in reference to historical events and people, or even the gadgets created for military use.  Also, with Fenna's background as the daughter of Dutch immigrants and so parts of the story revolves around the Dutch community she grows up in, I ended up learning a lot in that area as well.

In addition to the story being well-written, the characters were also well-drawn, with Fenna written in a way where, as readers, we can't help rooting for her through all the hardships.  With that said however, I honestly found it difficult to connect with her on an emotional level — which is strange given the entire story was told from Fenna's first person point of view, so we are privy to all her inner thoughts and feelings.  I think part of the reason for this is because, for me, some parts of the story ended up focusing a bit too much on Fenna's romantic relationship with Arie, to the point that it drove a large part of Fenna's actions and decisions during a certain portion of the story.  Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but given the premise of the story and the highly dangerous situations she often found herself in, some of her actions came across as irrational and illogical.  While the romance piece wasn't overwhelming compared to the rest of the story, it was a little distracting for me because I was expecting more focus on the historical piece and how Fenna uses her skills as an illusionist and escape artist in her work with MI9.  This was also the main reason I ended up rating this 4 stars instead of 5, as I felt like the direction of the story strayed a bit near the midway mark and also, the emotional connection was lacking.

Overall, I definitely liked this one quite a bit and recommend it as a worthwhile read, especially for the different and refreshing angle it presents in terms of WWII historical fiction.  

Received e-ARC from Sourcebooks Landmark via NetGalley and print ARC via BookBrowse First Impressions program.

No comments:

Post a Comment