Sunday, May 28, 2017

Review: Gone: A Girl, A Violin, A Life Unstrung (by Min Kym)




My Rating:  4 stars

Over the years, I’ve read my fair share of memoirs written by people ranging from celebrities to business people to complete strangers whom I had never heard of until the moment I read their memoir.  A lot of people I know don’t like to read memoirs because there are too many out there that are written in an overly-pretentious manner or, worse yet, may come across as genuine when in reality they are not.  Even though I share these same concerns when it comes to memoirs, I still read them because occasionally, there may be a gem in there that I would have regretted passing up on reading.  Min Kym’s Gone: A Girl, A Violin, A Life Unstrung – a heartfelt memoir about a violin prodigy who loses the precious instrument that defined her entire life – is definitely one of those gems.

Before I go into my thoughts on the book, let me just say that from a writing perspective, there were issues – lots of them.  In addition to the many grammatical and sentence structure errors, the writing was a bit all over the place at times, which was distracting and broke the flow of the story at certain points.  Normally, I would give a book with such flaws a low rating, but I didn’t this time because of several reasons, the main one being that the version I read was an “uncorrected proof” copy so I already expected that there would be errors.  For me, I’m generally okay with overlooking these types of errors as long as everything is fixed before the final published version goes into print.  The other reason of course is the fact that this book is a memoir, a personal story written by someone who does not write for a living, so I tend to be a bit more lenient with what I am willing to tolerate where the writing is concerned.  For those who may have lower tolerance in this area, I would suggest reading the final published version (and hope that the editors caught the errors and fixed them).  The third -- and most important – reason is explained in detail below….

Surprisingly, this memoir affected me on a personal level like no other memoir that I’ve read up to this point has done.  Perhaps it is because I share some cultural similarities with the author Min Kym (more on that in a minute), plus a few aspects of her personality as well as some of the experiences she went through parallel my own in certain areas. [For the record – no, I am not a child prodigy and I do not play any instruments, nor am I musically inclined (I love listening to music but can’t sing to save my life, lol).  To be honest, many of the music-related references in the book were completely lost on me and I didn’t try for even a minute to keep any of it straight because I knew I couldn’t.]  Kym is a Korean woman who grew up in England while I am a Chinese woman who grew up in the U.S. – we may be from different countries, but there is the shared cultural identity of being raised by “traditional” Asian families in the Western world and the struggles this brings about.  I was absolutely able to relate to many of the “issues” she brought up about culture and family and how different – ridiculous even -- the way of thinking may seem to those who may not have been brought up with those influences in their lives.  Many of the struggles Kym talked about are things I’ve experienced as well – for example:  the sense of being bound by cultural obligations to do/not do or say/not say certain things, putting your best face forward and not letting the “weakness” of our true feelings show, constantly saying yes and letting others manipulate and take advantage against your better judgment, living the life others want you to live rather than the life you want to live, going along and putting everyone else’s needs before your own because it is instilled in you to obey and not to question...etc.  A lot of this really hit home for me and in a way, it was reassuring to hear someone going through similar struggles not being afraid to articulate exactly how she felt.

One of the things I appreciated most about Kym’s story was the honest and genuine way in which she laid everything out in the open – the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Never once did she deliberately try to paint herself in a good light – instead, she showed us her true human self, showed us her flaws, her stubborn personality, her raw emotions.  It was almost as though she did not care whether people would judge her for being foolish, irrational, naïve, etc. – she just needed to tell her story, to pour her heart out, get what had been suppressed for so long out of her system….and let the chips fall where they may.  This was a unique aspect of Kym’s memoir that we don’t often see in other memoirs, which I found refreshing and for this reason alone is already worth reading.

I would absolutely recommend this book, though as I said earlier, read the final published version rather than any uncorrected proof or advance galley versions.  I don’t say this often but this was one book where I regret reading an ARC over an actual published copy because I feel like I could have done more justice to the book in my review if I had done so.

Received advance reader’s copy from Crown Publishing via Penguin First-to-Read program and NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment